Yaz, is manufactured by Bayer Pharmaceuticals, and there are at least 32 federal court cases pending against Bayer regarding their contraceptive pill and the side effects.
There are serious side effects that include:
* Blood clots in the legs – Oral contraceptives have warned of the potential for blood clots for years, but it has been alleged that Yaz causes deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which can lead to a pulmonary embolism (PE).
* Pulmonary embolism (PE) – These are caused by the DVT leg blood clots breaking off and lodging in the lungs.
* Heart attack – These are probably caused by blood clots in the coronary arteries.
* Stroke – These are caused by the DVT leg blood clots breaking off and lodging in the brain.
* Liver damage – Liver damage has also been associated with Yaz.
The alleged cause of these side effects is the ingredient drospirenone, which is not found in other oral contraceptives.
Drospirenone elevates the potassium levels within the blood,called hyperkalemia. Hyperkalemia can cause disruption of heart rhythms and also lead to death.
Another serious side effect is pulmonary embolism (PE).
A PE is a condition in which blood is unable to travel through the lung due to a blockage in an artery that belongs to the lung. This is commonly caused by a blood clot which has formed in the leg veins and has migrated to the lung.
A third of people who have a PE that has not been treated will not survive it. Those who do survive may have to suffer with heart damage and pulmonary hypertension.
Although not all women taking Yaz will develop a PE, there are certain women at higher risk. The risk seems to be associated with a high risk for blood clots. Those women who are at a higher risk of developing PE while taking Yaz are those who smoke, those over 35, and those who have a family history of PE.
For those women over 35 who also smoke, they are encouraged to either stop smoking or to refrain from taking Yaz in order to avoid the potential for a Yaz pulmonary embolism.
If you or a family member has been personally injured because of the fault of someone else: by the use of dangerous drugs, bad products, or toxic injury etc then please contact the Fort Worth Texas Defective Drugs Product Liability Attorney Dr. Shezad Malik. For a no obligation, free case analysis, please call 817-255-4001 or Contact Me Online.