A federal judge has upheld most of an $8.5 million judgment awarded to a woman who lost use of her arm due to a flesh-eating bacteria misdiagnosed by an Air Force base doctor.
The judge last month granted only part of the U.S. government’s request to trim $1.13 million from the damages he assessed last year for Jean Phillips. Frazier lowered damages covering Phillips’ past medical expenses by $62,748, settling on an $8.46 million payout.
Frazier had found that Dr. Dan MacAlpine, who was stationed at Scott Air Force Base near Mascoutah, Ill., failed to notice or heed Phillips’ rash on her right arm in 2002. MacAlpine, assuming she was an addict looking for prescription drugs, told her to go home and take over-the-counter pain medication.
But the rash turned out to be necrotizing fasciitis – commonly known as flesh-eating bacteria – that Frazier said eventually cost Phillips use of her right arm.